May 8, 2011
Posted by Joan V. Gallos
Happy Mother’s Day! I’ve not thought much about the links between motherhood and leadership, but today gives good reason to.
People struggle to understand leadership and how to do it. Take a lesson from mom and a process you’ve known your whole life. You’ll see leadership in a whole new way.
Like good mothers, good leaders are those who . . .
- Create – and with a leap of faith and the deep giving of self, give rise to that which did not exist before
- Hold and protect until the newly born is able to stand alone
- Exhibit qualities important for the development of others, such as affection, nurturance, and belief in human capacities to learn and change
- Teach, encourage, and socialize to important values and norms
- Reward accomplishments with increased freedom and responsibility
- Balance respect for differences with equity and fairness to all
- Convey they have a tiger in their tank so that they don’t need to let it out often (as in Don’t make me call your mother!)
- Are open, accepting, and approachable but never a buddy
- Earn respect for their actions over the long haul
- Love what they do and those they work with.